About Me

My photo
TARZANA, CA, United States
Hello food, wine & beer pals! Welcome to my photo-journal of food, wine and beer adventures. I'm pictured on the right and my home brewing pal, Aron is on the left. Years ago I started watching the Food Network, saving recipe's, making recipe's, trying new things, tasting new things, and it's all blossomed from there, including the weekly tastings (beer & wine) at BevMo. I'm hooked on variety and continuing my search for tasty goodness all over the world. Please feel free to email me with comments and ideas at FoodieWinonBrew@yahoo.com Bon Appetito!

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Ruth Reichl (RYE-shil)

RUTH REICHL (RYE-shil)

This is a genius website and the website of a genius. I’m a little prejudice in her favor since she is a personal hero of mine.  Some how I was turned on to "Comfort Me With Apples."  Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down.  I knew I was going to read "Tender at the Bone" next.  After finishing that "Garlic and Sapphires" had just come out in hardcover and that book is one of my all time favorite reads.  The first chapter begins with her flying to New York City to interview for the New York Times Food Critic job, which she has no idea what she's getting into.  A lady sitting next to her on the plane, eye-balling Ruth's food says "are you gonna eat that?"  Ruth says "no" and the lady says "I'd be surprised if you did.  I know who you are..."   Ruth had no idea who this stranger was but the woman continued saying "you're the new Food Critic for the Times, you're worth millions of dollars."  I'm seriously paraphrasing the exchange but she realized that there was no way to give an unbiased review of restaurants unless she wore disguises!  Yeah, that's right--and it's a fascinating read of social commentary about food and people.  I recommend it to anyone who loves food, or considers themselves "foodies."  Get your "Foodie On" and read her books, you won't regret it. 

On Ruth Reichl’s website you can watch her lecture (slides included) and get a peak into a little known universe of food history. Eating to survive is one thing—watching food passionate people is another. I invite you to discover Ruth Reichl through her books, magazine http://www.gourmet.com/ and lectures.
"Bonne continuation!"

No comments:

Post a Comment